Friday, January 11, 2008

Spin's top 30 punk albums

I might not even bother with posting a music reviewer's list of "essential" albums, but this is a damn fine list. All of the albums that made the list, that I've heard, deserve to be there. The ones I haven't I will now make a special effort to hear. Here it is, taken from the October 2007 issue of Spin, in alphabetical order:
Blondie - Plastic Letters
The Boys - The Boys
The Clash - The Clash
Elvis Costello - My Aim Is True
The Damned - Damned Damned Damned
Dead Boys - Young, Loud, and Snotty
The Dictators - Manifest Destiny
The Diodes - The Diodes
Ian Dury - New Boots and Panties
Eater - The Album
Eddie and the Hot Rods - Life On the Line
Iggy Pop - The Idiot
Iggy Pop - Lust For Life
The Jam - In the City
The Jam - This Is the Modern World
Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers - L.A.M.F.
Radio Birdman - Radios Appear
Ramones - Leave Home
Ramones - Rocket To Russia
Richard Hell and the Voidoids - Blank Generation
The Runaways - Queens of Noise
The Saints - (I'm) Stranded
Sex Pistols - Nevermind the Bollocks
The Stranglers - Rattus Norvegicus
The Stranglers - No More Heroes
Suicide - Suicide
Talking Heads - 77
Television - Marquee Moon
The Vibrators - Pure Mania
Wire - Pink Flag

Fuckin' awesome list. There are only about five albums on the list that I haven't heard, but I need to get on that, quick! And so should you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I first looked at the list I wasn't that enamoured because there were a number of notable albums missing and Blondie, Elvis Costello and The Jam had all made better albums. Problem was all the albums I could think of were released in 1978 and the list limits itself to 1977. It is therefore a fine list. (Heard of all but The Diodes).