Tuesday, January 15, 2008

DIY: The Modern World - UK Punk II (1977-78)



1. The Jam - The Modern World
2. Generation X - Wild Youth
3. The Rezillos - (My Baby Does) Good Sculptures
4. 999 - Emergency
5. Sham 69 - (There's Gonna Be A) Borstal Breakout
6. Magazine - Shot By Both Sides
7. Buzzcocks - What Do I Get?
8. Wire - I Am The Fly
9. X-Ray Spex - The Day The World Turned Day-Glo
10. Stiff Little Fingers - Suspect Device
11. The Lurkers - Ain't Got A Clue
12. The Soft Boys - (I Want To Be An) Anglepoise Lamp
13. Sham 69 - If The Kids Are United
14. Alternative TV - Action Time Vision
15. The Fall - Bingo Master
16. Stiff Little Fingers - Alternative Ulster
17. Siouxsie & The Banshees - Hong Kong
18. 999 - Homicide
19. Subway Sect - Ambition

Honestly, I'm posting this for sentimental reasons more than anything else. When I was 14, my older brother and I were browsing CDs at a pawn shop when we came upon this comp for $3.99. He had recently started listening to bands like Rancid, Dropkick Murphys, and other punk bands of the mid-90s. So when he found a CD for $3.99 that said "punk" on the cover, he figured it was worth checking out. He listened to it once or twice then put it on his shelf. I then snatched it off his shelf and played it, then played it again, and kept playing it. It was a musical epiphany. I had never heard anything like it. It was raw, it was angry, it was loud, it was fast, it was simple but melodic. It was everything I had been looking for. This compilation alone introduced me into a genre that would quickly become my favorite and consume thousands of hours of my time and hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars, that included finding stuff out about these bands, listening to their albums, finding more of their albums and bootlegs, and in two cases going to see them in concert. My brother, a few weeks ago, almost sold this album. To which I responded by running in and rescuing it from his clutches, and now it is in my possession forever. I now own most of the albums that these songs each originally appeared on, but I will always keep this compilation in my collection because of what it did for me. And now I pass it on to you all. These are all studio releases that have shown up in one form or another except for, if I'm not mistaken, the Rezillos' song. I have yet to find this version on any of their other releases. So you've got that. Anyways, enough from me, check out this compilation right now by clicking here!!!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for this, great story about your brother, my older brother got me into punk back in 1979, i have some great memorys of that era espicially the time spent at shows and generally dossing around london at the weekends.there was a few scrapes along the way as well,but we got through in the end, great era, great time,great memories, great brother(s), and a good blog too.Peace

Claudius said...

That would've been amazing.
What bands did you get to see?

I'm fortunate enough to have seen The Fall and Stiff Little Fingers, but I will never get to see either of those bands at the time of their first album's release. I will never get to see the Buzzcocks or The Ruts, I can only dream and hope that heaven allows me to time travel. I should've been born in 1960, not 1985.

Glad to get some feedback! Thanks a lot!

Anonymous said...

Just stumbled about your blog and this little gem. It's great into music that I haven't been exposed before via blogs like yours. Thanks a lot and keep it up!

Claudius said...

Don't you worry, I'll be doing this for a while.