Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Red London - This Is England and Sten Guns In Sunderland EP


This Is England
1. CND
2. Guitars And Crime
3. Windward Drifter
4. Clubland Rock
5. Red Alert
6. Where I Was Born
7. Bric-A-Brac Youth
8. No War No Hate
9. Kill A King
10. Posers Retreat
11. Durham Boys
12. Production Line
13. This Is England (part 2)

Sten Guns In Sunderland EP
14. This Is England
15. Soul Train
16. Revolution Times

I'm going to get this out of the way: this is not a very good album. So I have a different motive in posting this. Let me explain. These are the first two releases by the band, put onto one CD. It contains the indisputable punk rock classic "CND." That song has shown up on a LOT of punk compilations. I loved it then, I love it now. So, naturally, I wanted to hear more. I went looking for more Red London for a while with no luck whatsoever. I eventually found a greatest hits compilation of theirs, but the first thing that struck me was the "CND" was not on it, which was odd, but then I listened to it and it sounded like a whole different band. I may be mistaken, but I think it's a collection of work that the band (with a different singer) did on a label they were on later in their career. So NONE of this early work is on their greatest hits CD. Through much effort, I finally found this CD, and...... I didn't like it. The singer, who I liked so much on the opening song, ended up annoying the hell out of me. The guitar work is the best part about it, but no other songs are quite on the level with that classic track. So I'm posting this for any of you curious about what Red London sounded like during "CND" era, and saving you the trouble of looking any further than right here, so you will know that they did, unfortunately, suck. I do dig the song "Red Alert," though. So get it HERE.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

red london had a different singer for a few albums (good voice)then the original singer came back whose voice i never liked.the good albums they did were great,they were:
OUTLAWS (french release only i think)
TUMBLING DICE
LAST ORDERS
all good albums especially the last two,worth finding. there was also a good live album with the good singer.
i can probably send you these
sometime if your interested but havent got the time at the mo.let me know tho.they've done a few albums since with the original singer,but as you say sound like a different band,crap voice .cheers,dave p.

Claudius said...

I did find those, sir, but I hadn't brought myself to listen to them yet after my bad experience with this album. I only listened to the greatest hits CD long enough to realize that it included nothing from their original singer.

Based on your recommendations, though, I will definitely give those a listen very soon. Thanks!

ograwker said...

Been looking for this for awhile. Thanks! I only had the E.P. and I always loved Revolution and England. Never even heard C.N.D. before! Great Song! Thank You!

Anonymous said...

I've been looking for this for a long time--THANKS! I actually owned both the ep and lp in the past. I really like both, so I was very pleased to see that someone finally put it online. I didn't like anything else they put out . . .