Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Jesse Fuller - San Francisco Bay Blues


1. San Francisco Bay Blues
2. Jesse's New Midnight Special
3. Morning Blues
4. Little Black Track
5. Midnight Cold
6. Whoa Mule
7. Joe Henry
8. I Got A Mind To Ramble
9. Crazy About A Woman
10. Where Could I Go But To The Lord
11. Stealin' Back To My Old Time Used To Be
12. Brownskin Girl (I've Got My Eye On You)

A blues musician that far too many people have forgotten about. I barely stumbled upon several years ago when I bought Bob Dylan's first album. The first track of the first Bob Dylan album is a Jesse Fuller song. I loved it, so I looked up Fuller's stuff, and loved it. Now he has disappeared into almost complete obscurity, except for a few songs here and there that people have covered. Most notably is Eric Clapton's cover of "San Francisco Bay Blues," complete with kazoo. One of the things that impressed me most is that he is that his performances were usually solo, but could involve up to five different instruments. He would sing, play with a guitar, harmonica and kazoo around his neck, a hi-hat, and an instrument of his own invention called a footdella or a fotdella. The footdella was a foot-operated bass that was a big box set upright with six strings tied at the top and at the bottom, with foot pedals attached to hammers that would strike the strings like a piano. So any bass sounds you hear in his music, are all from him and his foot-hammers. I've got two other Fuller albums that will get posted here eventually. Until then, enjoy this by CLICKING HERE!

3 comments:

roc said...

this is great. cant believe hes not better known.

NOISEBOX said...

great blog! please check out or maybe add this to your links:
http://noiseboxmusiccollection.blogspot.com/

we share same interest in music. thanks and keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Thanks just what the doctor ordered for me today. How about Sandra Denny...quite overlooked as well but still part of mass culture at some point.
Viacomclosedmedown on youtube and DU blog/ning